Friday, July 07, 2006

Looks do not Matter???

“Beauty and the Geek”…….the re-run of this American series on television was what made me write this post…….

And well there was this one other thing…..I was a total *bitch* at the gym today…….there was this guy who was eyeing me for quite a few days……(which BTW I was well aware of)…..

He’s not good-looking and I am shallow…….and that’s why I did not pay him much attention…..he spoke to me today and I was not very chatty with him……and later he asked me for a lift on my bike and I said I was not going his way….(which, seriously, I wasn’t)……

But then I felt really guilty…..had he been someone really hot looking…..not only would I have chatted with him….I am sure I would have gone out of the way to drop him…..

So do looks matter????

I remember distinctly…..the days I used to look like an absolute geek……I used to be very very studious……very academic and had just finished my 12th….got into a prestigious medical school in India….in Mumbai….

Then I was….all bones…thick glasses….oily hair….protruding teeth….and dark circles around my eyes……(no sunlight…no sports….excessive studying…et al)

No one used to look at me or take me seriously….and then I dunno what happened….in a year….I was neither studious nor geeky lookin’……and suddenly I had a new found respect…..

Girls knew my name and who I was….came over to talk to me….people took me seriously…and I was heard no matter what I said……and I was somebody…finally….

And that also shattered my myth of……looks do not matter…..

2 Comments:

Blogger Rye said...

While they do not ultimately make any difference - they certainly are the inertia that gets the ball rolling.

As a funny Canadian TV ad recently said, "Its alright that we're shallow because beauty is only skin deep."

1:38 AM  
Blogger jerry_mumbai said...

that's a good one rye....shallow because beauty is only skin deep.....

and hanuman....i am not beating me up but just feel guilty sometimes about the way i think.....

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home